Last Updated: June 30, 2014
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
We collect information about you in various ways.
Personal Information You Provide to Us. We collect information which is identifiable with you ("Personal Information") when you provide such information directly to us. The Personal Information we collect may include your name, email address, birthday, postal address, postal code, phone number, photographs, videos, social media usernames, demographic information, information about your interests and preferences, and any other Personal Information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect When You Use Our Services. We may also automatically collect information about you when you use our Services and we may tie this to information we otherwise collect about you. For example, we may collect:
Transaction Information: When you use our kiosks, we collect information about your transaction, including but not limited to the transaction amount, date, time, and location. In some cases, we may also capture images of you using photo or video surveillance cameras installed on our kiosks for security purposes.
Log Information: When you visit our websites, some information is automatically logged, such as your computer's operating system, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, access times, browser type and language, and the site you visited before navigating to our websites.
- Information Collected by Cookies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include placing cookies on your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory by a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features are popular, and count visits to our Services. For more information about cookies, please see "Information Choices and Changes" below.
- Information Collected by Web Beacons: We may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our websites or in our emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Personal Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive Personal Information about you from other sources and link or combine it with information we collect about you.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We use the Personal Information we collect for purposes to which you consent at the time of collection. Your consent may be express or implied. We generally use Personal Information about you to:
- operate and improve our Services, including personalizing the Services and providing content and features that are targeted toward your interests, responding to your comments and questions, and providing you with customer service (including sending you information related to the products and services provided to you, confirmations, notices, updates, alerts, surveys related to the Services, and support and administrative messages);
- maintain and administer your Coinstar account(s);
- administer contests into which you enter, including receiving contest entries from and delivering contest rewards to you;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- communicate with you about new contests, promotions and rewards, upcoming events, and other news and information about products and services offered by Coinstar and other companies;
- detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights, property, and safety of Coinstar, our representatives, and others; and
- carry out any other purpose required or permitted by law.
Your Personal Information may be processed, stored or disclosed outside of Canada for the purposes listed above. While such information is processed or stored outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is held and may be subject to access by the governments, courts or law enforcement or regulatory agencies of such other country, pursuant to the laws of such country.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
We may share Personal Information about you with third parties as follows:
- with our parent company, subsidiaries, and affiliates for the purposes described in the "Use of Personal Information We Collect" section of this Policy;
- with third party vendors, consultants, and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- with third parties for their own services and marketing purposes (please see "Information Choices and Changes" below for more information about your privacy rights with respect to this type of sharing);
- with the public, such that when you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services or third party services, certain information about you may be displayed publicly, such as your name, photos, and any other information you choose to provide;
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process;
- if we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights, property, and safety of Coinstar, our representatives, and others;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or transfer of all or a portion of our business or its ownership to one or more other companies; and
- with your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or anonymized information that does not directly identify you.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Coinstar takes reasonable measures to help protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
SOCIAL SHARING FEATURES
The Services may offer third party social sharing features or other integrated tools (such as the Facebook "Like" button), which let you share actions you take on the Services with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these features.
THIRD PARTY ANALYTICS
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Coinstar takes reasonable measures to help protect Personal Information about you in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction, including physical, organizational, and technological measures.
INFORMATION CHOICES AND CHANGES
Account Information. If you have an online account with Coinstar, you may access, update, and correct Personal Information about you by logging into your account and updating your profile information, or by requesting such access, update and/or correction by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email us at email@example.com if you wish to deactivate your account, but note that we may retain information about you for a reasonable period as required or permitted by law.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional emails and text messages by following the instructions in those communications, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Services.
Information re Account of Use/Disclosure of Information. Generally, you may request: that we inform you whether or not we store Personal Information about you; that we provide you with access to such Personal Information, subject to certain access exemptions; and that we provide an account of the use that has been made or is being made of this Personal Information and an account of the third parties to which such information has been disclosed.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Coinstar may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above, and in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (such as adding a statement to our website's homepage or, subject to applicable law, sending you an email notification). We encourage you to review the Policy to stay informed about our information practices and the ways you can help protect your privacy.
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy, please contact Privacy Counsel at email@example.com.